Saturday 14 April 2012

Extract

From a new thing I'm writing. Enjoy!

It was nearing the end of the working day, and I was currently in one of my intermittent office power naps that involved the proximity of my forehead and the desk to be at point blanc for at least a good hour. The intercom buzzed obnoxiously and yanked me away from my day-dream world as I quickly raised my head, and mashed the pad of buttons with my palm.
"Yes?" I droned into the microphone.
"Mr Goodwin, we need you down here now, it's a code green! An actual code green!" I immediately jolted out of my chair and rushed past my desk, knocking the contents of several boxes off of it. I looked down at them, sighed, and ran out.
The hallways were still continuing to send me to sleep every time I walked down them, with their snooty boring white shiny walls that looked as if they'd never been touched by the constantly passing flesh, blood and brain matter that was so often rushed through this way. I made my way to the end of the corridor and made a swift left down a narrow stairwell that led me into an entrance to the testing lab. The emergency lights were flashing above my head, so I was sensing something very bad. I knocked on a small window on the door. There was no answer. I knocked again. A bloody human hand slapped against it and slid down. I peered through the glass.
"Oh....."
The lab inside was completely ruined, desks and chairs were upside down and slashed up, and several pretty slit up scientists were lying on the ground. Suddenly my attention was aimed at a large creature on all fours, staring up at me from behind a stool on the ground. There were dread like things flowing from its head and wafting around like an animal would aimlessly waft its tail. But this didn't look to me like any animal I'd ever seen. Its eyes were like two sharpened gems, peering into me. I pressed my face against the glass for a closer look. The thing cocked its head to the side, and sped up to the door, brutally head butting the glass, making a slight chip in it. I jumped back. It continued staring at me, as I stared at it. The creature kept twisting its head left and right, as if to get a better look at me. I cautiously moved over to it, closer and closer, until we were standing face to face. It had stopped moving now. It remained still, as if it had just suddenly died and locked in this position. I zoomed right into its eyes, and stood still. The thing edged its head back slightly, and its eyes suddenly multiplied into four. I stood there with my jaw hanging wide open. It begun to open its mouth, and bared its razor-like triangular teeth at me. I took this as a clear sign to get the hell out of there now, but before I could even move my feet to turn around, it made an ungodly cough-choke sound and sprayed a disgusting green fluid on the window. I turned around and made my way back up the stairwell as fast as my feet could freak out. But the sound of sizzling behind me made me spin around to see what was happening. The door was inevitably starting to melt. I didn't want to assume too soon that what that creature was spewing was some sort of highly acidic substance, but it was, and the door was already coming loose. I raced back to the top of the stairwell and took a right turn in a attempt to get back to my office and hide for a bit, but just as I was halfway down the corridor, I heard a male yelp, followed by a scientists body being flung into the wall adjacent to my office door. Without even stopping to see what the cause of it was, me and my highly assumptious brain darted back in the other direction and kept on going to the end of the corridor. Another scientist came flying around the corner towards me.
"No! You can't go that way!" I yelled at him.
"It's gotta be better than what's down there!" he replied speeding off. I made a left and continued down the corridor to be suddenly greeted by several of those creatures. They all in turn snarled at me as I backed away and again sped in the other direction.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment